Saturday, January 17, 2009

On day 4 we were graciously received at Pete & Sue's in New Jersey. On those few occasions when I've been a leasurely presence in New Jersey I've been reminded of what an extraordinarily beautiful place it is. This visit has certainly been no exception. Among the highlights has been the Princeton campus. It was a priviledge to simply be there. I can only imagine what it must be like to be a student. The area where Washington crossed the Delaware was its equal and being in the company of an historian like Pete made it easier to understand what those men went through to secure the blessings of liberty and put me in the right frame of mind for this week's extraordinary inauguration.

Many of you don't know that for as long as Elaine and I have been together the only way to get her up in the morning is to cook bacon in close proximity to wherever it is she is composed in sleep. I've worried about how to accomplish that on this trip because to try and wake her up in any other fashion is always iffy and I wasn't sure each host along the way would be willing. I needn't have concerned myself here in New Jersey. The requisite aroma, thanks to Pete, is wafting through this room and up the stairs to my beloved as I write and he, Sue and I are all down here waiting expectantly. Ah - there she is. The day can begin. Having spent two nights here we are off to, well we're not sure - toward Virginia.

No comments:

Post a Comment